Cover Love (36) -Adult covers for Harry Potter - so you don't look like you're reading a "kid's book"

We've all heard the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover." But really, how many times have you been drawn to a book because of it's cover. Besides, we all initially judge a book by it's cover art and tagline, and now it's time to celebrate the it! Cover Love is hosted every Monday, feel free to add a link to your cover reviews (love 'em, hate 'em, or debut 'em) to Mr. Linky below.

An Abundance of Books' Cover Love feature was inspired by 21 Pages"Cover Love" and Book Chick City's "Cover Crush" features and I encourage you to check them out.

Well, now that I read that post title it sounds a little dirty, but they aren't.  A series of more novel-like Harry Potter books were published with covers that looked less "childish" so that adults wouldn't be embarrassed about reading a kid's book in public.  I didn't particularly care for the first set of  "adult" covers, but the new covers for the Bloomsbury UK editions are lovely.





Unfortunately you can't quite see it in these images but the covers look like little water color paintings.  I love the colors used, the style, but mainly that each cover looks like a little painting.  They're very bright, maybe even brighter than the children's versions with the exception of The Half Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows.  They're also a lot more manageable in size.  I find that my older students like these because they leave more room in the school bags while my younger students like checking out the original US versions because the like books bigger than their head.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Ooooo these are beautiful! I want them just so I can have them as collector's items:) Thanks so much for sharing these Jennifer, I had no idea they were coming out with more "adult" versions of the covers!

July 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM
Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) said...

@ Jenny - I always thought the "adult covers" were kind of lame. There's nothing wrong with reading a "kid's" book, just suck it up and poke people in the eye if they make fun of you. But the novel size format is much more manageable.

July 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Jade said...

I had no idea they had made seperate covers for the adults. But I don't mind dragging around the originals. They're always great conversation starters!

July 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) said...

@ Jade - They came out with the adult covers in the UK because people didn't want to get caught reading a "kid's book". I always thought that was stupid, but these smaller sizes are a bit cheaper than the giant hard backs.

August 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quotes

My voice came out all squeaky, but he didn't seem to notice. He pushed off the locker and leaned close, his face inches fro mine. I swallowed audibly, overcome by a heady mixture of adoration, lust, and complete and utter terror. Would he kiss me? Did I want him to?

-Carrie Harris, Bad Taste In Boys

Labels

Search

Loading...